TECHNICS RECORD PLAYER TURNTABLE SERVICING, MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR SPECIALISTS.
We are a home operated business located in Coburg, Melbourne’s inner north.
We are specialists in Technics turntable servicing, maintenance and repair. In particular models; SL-1200MK2, SL-1200MK3/MK3D/M3D, SL-1200MK5, SL-1200MK5G, SL-1210MK2, SL-1210M3D, SL-1210MK5 and SL-1210M5G. We service various other Technics models too but most prices on this page are related to these models or similar.
We aim to give your turntable many extra years of smooth operation! Additional repairs and service can be performed as needed.
PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Updated 13-JUN-2019.
FLAT RATE GENERAL SERVICE FEE
All Technics turntables include this General Service fee, extra parts and services are an additional cost (see further below).
All prices include GST.
We accept cash, card, bank transfer (payment must be received before item pick-up) or Bitcoin.
1200MK2 etc. $175
- Includes SL-1200MK2, SL-1200MK3/MK3D/M3D, SL-1200MK5, SL-1200MK5G, SL-1210MK2, SL-1210M3D, SL-1210MK5 and SL-1210M5G
OTHER TECHNICS TURNTABLES $280
- Includes SL-10, SL-23, SL-1200 (MK1), SL-1300, SL-1300MK2, SL-1400, SL-1400MK2, SL-1500, SL-1500MK2, SL-1600, SL-1600MK2, SL-1700, SL-1700MK2, SL-1800MK2, SL-D2, SL-B2, SL-BD20, SL-Q200, SP-10 and many more.
FREE DIAGNOSIS & ESTIMATE
We provide free diagnosis and estimates for all Technics turntables. NO FIX, NO FEE!
WHAT’S INCLUDED WITH THE SERVICE
A General Service includes the following for Technics SL-1200MK2 and is a similar process for most others:
- Full inspection/test including thermal load test
- Electrical test & tag
- Armrest clip tightened if loose
- Dust out around circuit-board with an air compressor
- Tonearm contact clean & condition with DeoxIT
- Motor shaft oiled
- Pitch adjustment/calibration
- Brake adjustment
- Start.stop & speed button mechanisms cleaned & relubricated if needed
- Arm lifter damper fluid replaced if needed
- Broken or missing ground wire/terminal replaced
- Common weak solder joints on circuit board resoldered
- PCB checked for bad capacitors
- Fuses checked and replaced if needed
- and some extra small fixes
If the customer provides a headshell/cartridge:
- Cartridge installation
- Cartridge alignment
- Tone-arm height adjustment
- Tonearm balance (cartridge tracking force) adjustment
cartridge alignment, tone-arm height adjustment, tonearm balance (cartridge tracking force) adjustment.
PARTS & EXTRAS:
These items below are charged in addition to the General Service Fee
CLEANING & POLISHING:
- EXTRA CLEANING: $175. This is an extra fee for cleaning up the turntable if it has liquid spills (usually what appears to be rum & coke!) or it is just really dirty! Or if you want fine detail cleaning around the tonearm then this fee will apply too. Note, most turntables will just need the dust
blownoff (included with the General Service fee) if they’ve been looked after and won’t require this extra level of cleaning.
- DUST COVER POLISH: $175. Fine and course scratch removal from the plastic surfaces of the dust cover and polished to look like new.
PARTS & OTHER REPAIRS:
- Arm Rest replacement Technics 1200/1210 MK2/3/5: $30
- Arm Rest replacement Technics 1300/1600/1700: $95
- Circuit Board (Drive Circuit Board) Repair/Refurbish or Replacement Board: Up to $350
- Pitch Fader Replacement SFDZ122N11-2 improved fader for 1200MK2 $130
- Pitch Fader Replacement SFDZ122N11-3 for 1200MK3 & MK5: $110
- Pitch Fader Replacement SFDZ122N11-4 for 1200MK5G: $120
All pitch fader replacements include a pitch calibration/adjustment.
- Pitch Fader Remove Click: $85
- Pitch Control Rotary Adjustment Replacement (found in various Technics turntable models other than the 1200MK2 etc.): $35 each (each turntable has two, one for 33 1/3 and one for 45)
- Power Cable replacement: $60
- Power Mains Plug Replacement: $20
- RCA Cable Replacement. High-Quality Low Capacitance Mogami Cable with Amphenol Gold Plated Connectors (1.4 metres). Includes ground wire to match RCA cable length: $80
- RCA Sockets: $235
- RCA Plug Only Replacement (Amphenol gold plated connectors): $30
- Strobe Light LED Replacement Standard Red (or optionally Orange/Amber, Yellow, Turquoise, Green or Blue) $95
- Stylus illuminator (pop-up light) replacement long-lasting LED in Warm White $70
- Stylus illuminator (pop-up light) original Incandescent Globe $45
- NOTE: WITH DWINDLING SUPPLIES, THE MARKET PRICES FOR TECHNICS 1200 TONEARMS HAS SKYROCKETED. It is no longer viable for us to stock new ones. So, you will need to purchase your own and we will install it for free with a service.
- Tone-arm Repair (refurbish/repair using working second-hand replacement parts) $90-$250.
- Tone-arm Replacement Technics SL-1200MK2 (SILVER)
NON-STOCKED. Also suitable for other silver models such as SL-1200M3D and SL-1200MK5.
- Tone-arm Replacement Technics SL-1210MK2 (BLACK). NON-STOCKED. Can be substituted with 1200MK2 arms (if you don’t mind the slight colour mismatch). Or bring in your own (can still be found for sale on sites like eBay albeit at a high price).
- Tone-arm Replacement Technics SL-1200MK5G/SL-1210M5 NON-STOCKED. Can be substituted with 1200MK2 arms.
VOLTAGE CONVERSIONS/TRANSFORMER REPLACEMENTS
- VOLTAGE CONVERSION FOR 1200’s International 100-120V to 240V Australian: $300. The conversion includes a high-quality toroidal transformer, protection fuses added, power supply components changed to be suitable for 240V and a proper safe to use power cable to suit Australian standards (and allow your turntable to pass an electrical test & tag).
- VOLTAGE CONVERSION FOR SL-1800MK2 International 100-120V to 240V Australian: $400 includes the same as for 1200’s above but typically requires two transformers to power two different circuit boards at different voltage requirements.
- VOLTAGE CONVERSION FOR OTHERS International 100-120V to 240V Australian: $300-$400 usually includes the same as for
- TRANSFORMER REPLACEMENT ONLY 240V for
We do not normally require a deposit, but we may ask for an up-front payment for any PARTS & EXTRAS or anything we may have to order specifically for your repair. Depending on the circumstances some or most of this deposit may be non-refundable, such as if we require ordering special parts just for your turntable.
WE DO NOT DO “INTERNAL GROUNDING” THROUGH THE RCA CABLES.
It’s a bad idea, don’t do it!
To put it basically, it introduces the possibility of ground loop issues depending on your set-up and also makes your equipment less safe to use. If your Technics turntable has been ‘internally grounded’ and then has a major electrical fault (from drink spills and other misuses), you can destroy other equipment in the chain such as an amplifier. There are other technical issues that can arise too. The Technics turntables have a separate ground wire for a reason.
For more information download the article about the issues with internal grounding from Richies Technics 1200/1210 Servicing here: Internal Grounding Info
We re-install missing or broken ground wires on every Technics turntable at no extra fee.
USE A SURGE PROTECTOR FOR YOUR PRECIOUS TECHNICS TURNTABLES
Voltage spikes and surges can damage the major IC (Integrated Circuit) components on your turntables. These parts have been discontinued for the SL-1200MK2 etc. (also found on some other models such as SL-1600MK2 and SL-1800MK2) and supplies are diminishing. Spares for other models that use different IC’s are not available at all.
Make sure that you use a good quality power board with surge and spike protection for your turntable, this will greatly reduce the chance of these components inside your precious Technics turntables failing.